28 January 2009

Ice Storms Suck

My car was covered in a sheet of ice this morning that was at least 1/4" thick. It took me 15 minutes just to get a door open. Afgter that, another 45 minutes to get the ice off of the windows so I could see out. The ice on the back window of my car was half an inch thick. I have a hatchback car, so that window has a more shallow slant to it and the car is on a little hill, so it's more slanted. It made for an almost level surface for the ice to just build up on.

Anyway, after that, the roads are still a mess. There's ice, snow and/or slush on every road on the way to work. It was bad even the highways that I use. I was being SO careful the whole way. I only started sliding once. And that was on a steep highway hill. There was a Jeep in the next lane that I was sliding towards. He would have been fine if he kept going the way he was because he was a little ahead of me. But, he started slowing down >.< Luckily, my car is front wheel drive. I turn the wheel left (I was sliding right) and that had no effect. I expected that because I was sliding... Then i hit the gas a little and the car practically jumped. :O It went left in a hurry and I was back in my lane and not sliding in two seconds.

Then there's the bus ride. When I got on the bus, the driver was smiling and seemed too happy. As the driver closes the door, he says "There's already three quarters of an inch on top of the stuff." and laughs. I'm thinking: Oh boy, this guy is nuts...

So, he starts pulling out of the side street and onto the main street. he's really gunning the engine like the roads are clear and dry... I'm in the back of the bus next to the rear door. I notice that as the front of the bus starts going left, I'm still headed for the other side of the road. He's sliding the back of the bus :O And I can hear him giggling. :O About halfway to work, he does that again through another intersection. The rest of the trip is pretty safe, but him laughing and giggling is such serious weather... He's got to be crazy.

No comments: