22 February 2009

I R NUBE!

Even after spending YEARS in school learning about PCs, gaining certifications in PC maintainance (like A+, Lenovo and HP certs), I'm still making little mistakes with my own PCs. I recently changed the CD-ROM in my spare PC for a DVD-ROM that'll burn CDs, too. When I booted it, it would start the fans, blink lights and then shut off. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with it for two weeks. Finally, tonight I opened it up one more time before calling in my brother (who is also uberly PC savy) and looked at every part in the case. The last one I checked, the CPU fan, was the culprit. I had forgotten to plug it back into the mainboard. >.<

For those of you who say the CPU fan has nothing to do with the optical drives and didn't need to be unplugged for the change... I have some very tidy cabling in my case and the lengthy CPU fan cable is included. To get the cabling out of the way, I unplugged the CPU fan to give the bundle some slack.

So, for those of you who are experts at anything, consider a piece of advice: When something isn't working out just right, the Devil is in a little, obvious detial. Check everything as if a moron had done the work and you expect it all to be wrong.

5 comments:

wilsõn said...

wow, you can get certifications in PC maintenance in your country?

Skippy said...

Yeah. Lots of different certs, too. Some for hardware troubleshooting and installation, each major manufacturer has their own certs. Some for different software uses, like programming or operating system management. If you get into servers, there's a whole different realm of certs to get. You can also be certified for other hardware, like printers.

wilsõn said...

wow, i would like to get them.

hm, hardly can find certifications in malaysia.

most of the time have to self taught.

Lase said...

I thought your degree was in computer programming? Didn't know it was more towards PC maintenance.

Skippy said...

My college degree is in programming. I have also gotten the hardware certifications since I started my latest job.